Baby's First Earflap Hat

12.03.2012


Do you feel it?  That nip in the air?  You know what that means, right?

It's time to dust off the knitting needles.

And I do mean "dust off" because it's been ages since I last picked them up and they actually had a fine coat of dust on them.  (obviously I'm an excellent housekeeper)


But there's nothing like a cute, little baby head to get you inspired to start knitting again so for my re-entry into the knitting world I chose this simple hat pattern with earflaps from Petite Purls.  And for the yarn I used some left over Tactile Fiber Arts Studio yarn that is a 50/50 wool and silk blend, dyed with natural dyes.  Can I just say how much I love this yarn?  Yes, it's incredibly beautiful but I also know that it holds up really well because I made myself a hat out of it several years ago and despite it being my go-to hat during the winter months and being worn a ton, the yarn still looks great.


As for this little hat, the pattern is incredibly simple (well, after you get a few rounds into it - starting to knit in the round on double pointed needles is always a pain in the booty) and I love that it has the added useful/cute earflaps.  I was debating whether to make the pom-pom or not, but in the end I decided to just keep it simple.  Being from my gene pool, she's got enough to hold up as it is with her giant head.


9 comments:

  1. That is too cute Carolyn and I am so impressed!!! (I can't knit at all)
    And of course the subject herself is the cutest ever! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is probably the most darling thing I've seen. Both the baby and the hat!
    The hat looks so soft, and I love the color. I'm impressed you are able to crank out such amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo dear. Too cute. I love it so much. I had a friend teaching me how to knit this weekend, and got addicted pretty quickly. So relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3.12.12

    Hello fantastic blog! Does running a blog like this require a massive amount work?
    I've very little knowledge of coding however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, if you have any suggestions or techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I simply needed to ask. Kudos!
    Also visit my site :: amber leaf

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make sinfully cute children. For this I could possibly hate you but that would be kind of awkward since we will be in-laws one day (oh yes, Vinny will marry O).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nip in the air?! There's fricking snow and ice out there! Still, the hat is very cute, mine's shaped like a panda head...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is forever cute! And you have the sweetest baby!!! She is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This hat is SO great. Its going on my list asap.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!