Twirly Skirt

6.19.2012

How timely that Kristin wrote a post the other day about sewing confessions, because I happen to have one of my own - my child rarely wears the things that I make for her.  Instead she much rather wear a ridiculously long Christmas dress that one of our neighbors passed down to us.  Or a ladybug costume that is two sizes too small so that it can no longer be snapped under her crotch (hello, world, look at my underwear!).  Or she'd just like to run around in a tutu.  I'm slowly learning to make my peace with her fashion choices and am coming to the conclusion that if I want her to wear the things that I make, then I should probably make things that she'd like to wear.


And that's where Dana's tutorial for a simple circle skirt came into play.  You see, O is obsessed with twirling lately and she likes nothing more than standing in front of our fireplace and watching her reflection in the glass as she twirls around (on a side note, we may be raising a narcissist...).



I was hoping then that perhaps if I sewed her a twirly skirt she might actually wear something that I made.


And I'm happy to report that it appears to have worked.  You see, these pictures were actually taken on a day that O picked out her very own outfit.  That's right, she actually chose to wear the skirt that I made.  Hallelujah!


13 comments:

  1. So cute! What girl doesn't love a good twirl? Especially when you catch your reflection in an adorable mama-made skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. I would want to wear that skirt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SO cute! I love that fabric. And congrats on the bearability success :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, circle skirts are perfect for the twirl/dance loving girlies. Figuring out what to make for Em that will actually get chosen and worn is my constant challenge. Thanks for linking! Love the skirt and I'm glad O loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, kids, fickle little buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your O and my H seem to share the same fashion sense, so I'm heading to make that skirt RIGHT NOW! Thanks for sharing and happy for your "win"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes, i have that same tragic confession. but O. looks awfully happy in her circle skirt, so maybe i'd have some luck with that too! at least you had another girl, so all the great stuff you've made will have a second chance. i'm kinda banking on that myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Love the photos. Hard isn't it when you put so much love in... but at least the clothes will get a second chance with Baby C!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twirly skirts are definitely the way to go for little girls! I need to make some up, too. :) the skirt is adorable, congrats on your success in getting O to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crazy--I just made an upcycled version of one of these today! There will be a post soon...I'm a few projects behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. and the heavens parted and the angels sang! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you know, I struggle with some pickiness over in my house as well! It can be so disheartening! This seems to have gotten a little better recently and one secret is that I now talk to Joe more about what he wants (and he can now discuss these sorts of things in more depth than previously) before making it. So yeah, I totally hear you!!

    The twirly skirt is clearly PERFECT! I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay - it looks great - and Pink is always a winner. I sewed for the first time in months the other day. I find that if I allow Amelia to have a part in the fabric, yarn or pattern choice she is also more likely to wear it.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!