Selfish Sewing? Sign Me Up!

4.10.2012

There are several things that every one-week post-partum woman feels, two of them being:

1) I never want to push anything that large out again
2) Don't bring a scale or tape measure anywhere near me

And yet, that's exactly what I did - I broke out the tape measure one week after this little nugget was born.


I blame this insanity on an insatiable urge to indulge in some selfish sewing but of course before doing so, I needed to know what size to sew for my current shape (hence, the tape measure).

In an attempt to make things a bit easier on myself I chose to make what was supposed to a be a loose, flowing tunic that I figured would work well with for a body shape in flux.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to the design ease when choosing what size to sew and the top ended up far more fitted than I intended.  And if you'll forgive me talking about my boobs for a minute, I have to say that I also didn't take into account my new cup size, which again changed the fit of the top dramatically.  Oops.


On a more positive note, I'm really happy with how the two fabrics that I chose work together.  I tend to be a bit of a fabric wimp and only sew with cotton because I'm not all that familiar with how to work with other fabrics.  But knowing that I love to wear other fabrics, I figured that I better suck it up and sew with something other than cotton (and I turned to this book for some guidance).  In this case, the yoke is made out of silk dupioni that I just pre-washed in the washing machine resulting in it having a less shiny and more crinkled appearance that I really like.  And the tunic portion is made with some voile leftover from this project (and you know how I love using leftovers!).


So the top may not be perfect, but it's done and it mostly fits and hopefully will fit better as I continue to lose some of the pregnancy weight.  In any case, it feels good to be doing selfish sewing.

Oh, and it feels extra good to be submitting something to Rae's Spring Top Sewalong!  Yay!


Pattern: Simplicity 2922
Size: 8
Fabric: Silk dupioni for the yoke and Tina Givens voile for the body

26 comments:

  1. I think it looks absolutely fabulous on you and Yay! for all this sunshine!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I can't believe you look that great 2 weeks postpartum! Fantastic top, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um I kind of hate you right now, you look so amazing AND you are sewing?!? Way to totally rule at being a fit crafty mama of two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. That's it. You win at Spring Top Sewalong. Everyone else should just drop out right now. You don't even look like you just had a baby, and the top is fantastic! VERY nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so well-done! Congrats! Also, you look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Just, wow. Hat's off to Carolyn! The top is smashing, you look great, and you've hardly skipped a beat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The top is gorgeous, and the fit is great - and you look fab! Clever girl :-)
    (& the pick of the bubba - so sweet!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that top! SO cute and I can.not.believe you just had a babe. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously fabulous! You really do look amazing and that is in general, not because you just had a gorgeous little one. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One week postpartum and you look that good? Some things just aren't fair ;) That top looks great. I love voile for spring projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it looks fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to sound like a broken record but you look AMAZING. Oh the top is great too. Way to make the rest of us feel like slackers ;-) Congrats on that cute little nugget too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10.4.12

    wow both you and that top look gorgeous!! (and your lovely family does too)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10.4.12

    Wow, one week after your delivery. You are a superwoman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one super nice top! I didn't know that pattern included such a awesome variation! I need to look closer at those project runway patterns! Anyways Great job! and thats one adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!!! you and baby c are both looking fabulous!! great top too! you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time visitor, but I had to say WOW you look great for just having had a baby and the top looks AMAZING on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how did I miss this post? Man, awesome in so many ways. I really like the idea of the machine-washed silk. I'm terrified of silk mainly for washing reasons. You totally deserve something that makes you feel glamorous post-baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This cracks me up--I just finished the muslin of this exact top (just the yoke to see if it'd fit). I bought the pattern for the dress view but was inspired to go back through my top patterns by the sewalong. I love your fabric combo! I was trying to decide whether to do a zipper or button closure--your zipper looks great.

    And go you! Certainly can't tell you were just housing a baby in there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. how do you look so good after a baby. DANG YOU WOMAN! and you can sew (which we already knew??) STOP IT ALREADY!
    ; )
    XO
    C

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful and you look absolutely fantastic!!! But that baby is so much more precious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two weeks postpartum? I'm jealous. I love your top and the fabric mix you chose. I've been wanting to make that pattern as a top, too. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks really good on you and I'm loving your fabric choices too. Babies are especially precious when they're sleeping, aren't they. Well congratulations on the baby, a little sewing time for mama and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. um. you look amazing for just barely having a baby! i kinda want to punch you! ;) it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously - you dont look like you just had a baby at ALL!! :-) Amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this top! I hope you will make tutorial!
    You look great!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!