Made With Love

2.14.2012

I'm generally not a huge fan of Valentine's Day and I have to say that the few times that Ben and I have gone out for Valentine's Day I felt incredibly awkward and uncomfortable surrounded by nothing but couples.  Perhaps it's the sense of obligation.  Perhaps it's the sense of expectation.  Or perhaps it's just me - but, truth be told, I rather just spend Valentine's Day at home.

That said, I'm all for a holiday that gives me an excuse to eat an abundant amount of chocolate and so I decided to take advantage of this Valentine's Day to try out a new recipe of chocolately goodness - homemade Snickers bars


My final thoughts on these little bites of heaven?  They are delicious but I learned early on that you only need to cut them in teeny-tiny squares when you eat them because these things are rich!

I followed the recipe as written with only small changes made here and there - like substituting half semi-sweet chocolate chips for the milk chocolate chips and cutting down on the added sugar in the nougat portion.  And I definitely recommend storing these in the refrigerator because mine turned into a gooey mess when I left them out (and when I attempted to bring some to my parent's house in a ziplock bag, stuffed in my purse.  Sorry dad!).

11 comments:

  1. Is it wierd that when I see the picture I hear eating noises? Hohm nom nom nom. I'm impressed by homemade snickers and echo your sentiments about V-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! the picture of Ben eating it cracks me up! happy v day twin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh yummy! So they wouldn't survive in the post either then, darnit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate going out on valentines day too! But I do love any excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, my dad still buys me a box of Sees every year :) I must try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, (stopping by from lempobee). The homemade snickers look great btw. I made caramel slices a while ago (shortbread, caramel and chocolate layers) and also learnt the hard way that these things need to stay chilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to blast through this damn computer screen and rip that thing out of his hand! Those look so freaking good. I'm already contemplating how to make these dairy-free. And that last picture? Rad. :) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! I'll be over in about 5 minutes.
    XO
    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Us Aussies are largely cynical about Valentine's Day too. A girl at work got a text from her husband that said "roses are red, violets are blue, Valentine's Day is a pile of poo, love Dave". However - excuses for eating and drinking yummy stuff? Bring it on. That snickers looks great :) We had a nice bottle of bubbles so I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best...photo...ever of your man. I have felt myself getting sappier about Valentine's Day as I've gotten older, for some reason...not going crazy with gifts or anything, just something small and thoughtful. Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look yummy in all it's gooey goodness. It appears that your husband enjoyed it too. Did your Dad lick the bag???

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!