All's Well That Ends Well

3.08.2011

The making of this dress did not start out well.

I had some beautiful Anna Maria Horner fabric in the stash that I thought would look great with this pattern but when I took it out to iron it I noticed that there were several faint (and some not-so-faint) green splotches on the fabric.  Uggh!  I decided I was going to make do with the fabric anyway, cut around the green splotches where I could, and hope that people wouldn't notice the green splotches where I couldn't.


Then once I sewed the bodice together I began to stress (as always) that I was making the wrong size and that there was going to be no way in hell that I was ever going to be able to zip this sucker up.  In an attempt to address this issue, I installed the zipper in the back with a narrower seam allowance and ultimately I think I was saved by the fact that the dress has a partially open back.  Phew!


Despite the invasion of the green splotches and the stress about whether I was ever going to be able to zip up the dress, the dress turned out just fine.  And in some ways, better than fine.



I love the bohemian look of the AMH fabric on this dress and I love the detail of the partially open back. Sewing the little thread bar was a bit of a pain in the butt, but I used this tutorial from Threads and while my thread loop may not look as beautiful as theirs, I think it will function just fine.



As for the making of the dress, I pretty much followed the directions except that I used an invisible zipper in the back because an invisible zipper is by far the easiest zipper to install.  Haven't tried one yet?  Oh, you must!  Just buy yourself an invisible zipper foot, check out some tutorials on-line, and sew away.  The great thing about the invisible zipper foot is the ditch in the foot.  You just stick the zipper teeth in there and go for it.

As for the fit, I think it's okay but if I were to do it again I would make the bodice a little longer (right now it hits at the bottom of my chest and I think it's actually supposed to hit right below "the girls").  I might also make the length just a wee bit longer, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the fit.


Pattern: Simplicity 3803
Size: 6
Fabric: From Anna Maria Horner's Good Folks line
Final Thoughts:  I should probably wait until it's over 40 degrees to wear it.

23 comments:

  1. Anonymous8.3.11

    GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally stunning. Awesome match of fabric to pattern. I keep reading people saying that quilting cottons are not great for garments but clearly if you choose the right pattern (probably one that doesn't require drapiness in the bodice area), then you're good to go! Which widens the choice of fabric considerably... (hmm, considers own stash in light of this news....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...perfection! The fabric, the pattern, the fit. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the highest words of praise from someone we both know: this would look so good on me, it's totally my color and style! No but really, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so incredibly inspired by you! Once I finish the two...well, three projects I am working on I am going to whip up myself a new wardrobe! I can't wait to see what you do with all that beautiful fabric you got at expo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks fantastic!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9.3.11

    That is SUCH a cute dress! So impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. I found your blog through this dress posted on flickr and can I just say, yea i like the dress, but helloooomynameissaschaandiloveyourblog. There, I sure got that out didn't I? I've read through like almost all your posts (well, whatever I can between snot, poop and tantrums), and I feel like I'm reading my own writing. So without sounding creepy I'm officially going to blog stalk you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my I love your fabric choice! Oh a whim I bought just two yards, and wish I would have purchased more. It looks stunning on your darling frame - man you have been a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my word! turned out BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you via SMS. That dress is gorgeous!! The fabric could not be more perfect. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing!! Love it... you are going to rock it when it gets really warm out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dress! I also think invisible zippers are much easier than the regular kind--unfortunately, they require planning ahead (and I alway forget, sew the seam, and debate the ease of zipper installation versus the pain of ripping out the seam...every time).

    ReplyDelete
  15. this has inspired me to make this dress asap. but asap might be a while given that this pattern is out of stock! gahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. read: it's discontinued. any chance you'd lend tihs to a blog stalker/ reader?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found this link through pinterest! LOVE the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dress is so lovely. And I love reading your blog because you sew just like me. Worrying about things as you go but it works out in the end. I'm going to follow you and I'd love you to follow me too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. so, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this dress, it looks great on you! I know this is an older post but the link in the blog for the pattern doesn't come up. Do you remember which pattern you used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi id love to make this dress, unfortunately the link to the pattern doesnt link us to the pattern! Could you please tell us which pattern it is thanks! Great job btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found it! Duh!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!